Women's Center for Breast Care
Today's women are busy taking care of their families and their careers, along with many other responsibilities. However, when it comes to their health, women need to make time for themselves. That is why we have built a state-of-the-art women's center. Our Women's Center provides comprehensive screening and diagnostic services for both breast cancer and osteoporosis in one convenient location.
The Women’s Center is located in the Riverview Hospital Women's Pavilion. Our private treatment and consultation rooms have been decorated in rich colors and exude warm sophistication. Loved ones can wait in the comfortable lounge area in front of a cozy fireplace or in many other special areas of the Women's Pavilion. These areas include a serene retreat and peaceful healing garden.
Our spacious center is designed to make your visit a pleasant experience. We strive to stay on schedule, to minimize your waiting time. We understand that our patients' time is valuable.
A Center of Excellence
The Riverview Women’s Center achieved additional accreditation in Breast Ultrasound/Biopsy/FNA and Stereotactic Breast Biopsy. These accreditations earned the Women’s Center a Breast Center of Excellence status. Only approximately 14% of the 182 accredited facilities in Indiana have earned the Center of Excellence status with only three of those facilities being in Central Indiana.
- Screening mammography — Screening mammography is indicated for the patient who isn't experiencing any new problems in her breast. Screening recommendations.
- Computer-aided detection — After reviewing the mammogram, the radiologist refers to areas of interest marked by a computer. This is referred to as the R2 Image Checker. This combination of information provides the most accurate diagnosis available.
- Diagnostic mammography — Diagnostic mammography is indicated when a new symptom arises, when further evaluation is required as a result of previous imaging studies, or when there is a personal history of breast cancer.
When mammograms are evaluated, the physician reviews the patient's previous mammogram images. This is important to increase the accuracy of determining any changes or instability in the breast.
Ultrasound images of the breast are taken to complement mammography, to evaluate palpable lumps, and as imaging guidance for procedures, such as cyst aspirations and drainage of various breast fluid collections.
- Vacuum-assisted core biopsy with stereotactic and ultrasound guidance. This image-guided biopsy is quick, accurate, needs no recovery time, and does not cause scarring of the breast.
- Various other breast procedures as indicated.
- Pre-operative needle localization with excisional biopsy. The needle localization is done in the Women's Center, and the excisional biopsy is done in the Surgery Center.
Specialized Breast Care Team
When a patient needs a biopsy, this team will work with her to ensure prompt testing. If a cancer diagnosis is made, the team will work with the patient to individualize care and to help explain treatment options.
DEXA or Bone Mass Measurement Test
This test can detect osteoporosis before a fracture occurs, determine an individual’s risk for fracture, and monitor the effects of treatment.
We provide health education through various programs, including women’s seminars, health fairs and community days. These efforts encourage women to seek screenings in a comfortable atmosphere for a variety of health issues.