Diabetes Education Center
Riverview Hospital’s Diabetes Center provides education, prevention techniques and diverse treatments for those living with diabetes, primarily through educational programming. At the Center, we are committed to restoring and preserving the highest quality of health to benefit patients, physicians, employees and the community we serve. We provide patient-focused care in a nurturing atmosphere to promote a positive healthcare experience. Riverview Hospital’s Diabetes Center educational program meets the American Diabetes Association’s national standards for diabetes self-management education.
Riverview’s Diabetes Center is led by Certified Diabetes Educators with clinical and dietary certifications. Through the Center’s educational program, individuals living with diabetes – both those who are newly diagnosed and well as those in need of self-management education – are encouraged to learn how to manage their condition.
Riverview’s Diabetes Center provides comprehensive instruction on:
- Nutrition (meal planning): Healthy eating to optimize blood glucose control and to reduce the risk of diabetes-related complications.
- Diabetes medications: The safe and effective use of oral medications used to control diabetes.
- Insulin administration: The safe and effective use of insulin to control diabetes.
- Blood glucose monitoring: Monitoring blood sugar levels and using the results to improve diabetes control.
- Risk reduction: Healthy lifestyles, behaviors and goal setting to reduce the risk of long-term complications of diabetes.
- Incorporation of physical activity into lifestyle: The benefits of physical activity and how to safely begin and monitor exercise.
The Diabetes Center offers diabetes self-management classes and individual consultations. Diabetes self-management classes are comprised of two sessions with each session lasting 2.5 hours. For a diabetes self-management class schedule, call 317-776-7233. A Registered Dietitian and a Registered Nurse are available for individual consultations for those requiring customized diabetes education.
To register for a self-management class or individual consultation, a physician’s order is required and should be faxed to the Diabetes Center at 317-770-2414. To schedule a self-management class or individual consultation, call the Diabetes Center at 317-776-7233. Morning, afternoon and evening diabetes self-management classes and consultation times are available.
To schedule a self-management class or individual consultation, call the Diabetes Center at 776-7233. Morning, afternoon and evening diabetes self-management classes and consultation times are available.