Breast Care Team
A Team Approach to Your Care
Riverview Hospital's Breast Care Team offers a team-focused, multi-disciplinary and individualized approach to your personal breast care.
Mission Statement: The Breast Care Team is committed to achieving quality individualized breast care through a continual process to benefit our patients.
Pledge: Rapid progress from diagnosis to treatment with kindness and integrity.
Riverview's Breast Care Team will individualize your care based upon your needs and expectations in cooperation with the guidelines established by your referring physician.
The physicians on your team are all board certified within their specialties. We have sophisticated technology and services designed to meet your cancer needs. These include Radiologists, Surgeons, Pathologists, Medical Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists, Technologists, and Nurses.
Riverview Breast Care Team
- Breast Radiologists
- Breast Surgeons
- Breast Pathology
- Breast Radiation Oncologists
- Medical Oncologists
Riverview Total Breast Care Services
Riverview's Women's Center provides comprehensive breast care services to meet each individual patient's needs. These services include:
- Breast Ultrasound
- Vacuum-Assisted Stereotactic Ultrasound Guided Core Biopsy
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
- Needle Localization with Excisional Biopsy
- Surgical Breast Oncology
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
- Breast Reconstrution Referrals
- Medical Oncology and Adjuvant Chemotherapy
- Venous Access with PICC line team, ports and central lines
- Radiation Therapy
- Access to Clinical Trials
- Referral to Genetics Counseling
- Lymphedema Therapy
- Radio Frequency Ablation
Evaluation of the Breast Biopsy
Specialized breast pathology provided by Ameripath, Indiana. The tests the pathologist chooses for a Breast Prognostic Profile generally include: Hormone receptors (Estrogen and Progesterone), growth factor receptors such as HER-2/neu, cell proliferation analysis (MIB-1) and DNA analysis. Additional evaluations such as EGFR (Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor), P53 (Tumor Suppressor Gene) and others may occasionally be indicated.
Women's Center Statistics
- The sensitivity of mammography at Riverview is 95 percent. National sensitivity recommendations are greater than 85 percent.
- The specificity for mammography at Riverview is 98 percent. National specificity goals are to be greater than 90 percent.
- Only 25-40 percent of biopsies will result in a diagnosis of breast cancer. Conversely, 60-75 percent of biopsies will not be cancer.
- The Cancer Detection Rate of the Women's Center is six breast cancers per 1,000 patients. The national standard is two to ten per 1,000.
- Routine screening mammography at Riverview detects more than 50 percent of the female breast cancers diagnosed. This underscores the value of screening mammography. The other 50 percent of breast cancers diagnosed by mammography were on diagnostic exams for patients with lumps and other symptoms.
- Breast cancer detected at the earliest stage is 97 percent survivable.
Breast Care Facilities
Riverview facilities are inspected and certified by Joint Committee on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Indiana State Department of Health, American College of Radiology, Food & Drug Administration, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and College of American Pathologists.
Using state-of-the-art medical technology, Riverview's Breast Care team is able to diagnose and treat patients with unmatched accuracy. Current technology includes:
- Dedicated Acuson Breast Ultrasound Unit
- Digital Mammography Units
- GE Logic 400 Dedicated Breast Software Ultrasound
- Suros Atec Vacuum-Assisted Core Biopsy and Excision System
- Computer Aided Detection R2 Image Checker
- Lorad Stereotactic Breast Biopsy Unit
- Siemens 1.5 Tesia short bore MRI
- GE 1.5 Tesia MRI
- ADAC PET Scanner
- ADAC SPECT Gamma Camera
- Siemens 16 Multislice CT with Leonardo 3D Software
- Phillips Allura Catherization Lab
- Varian linear Accelerator
- 3D CT-Based Treatment Planning
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- TeraRecon Computer Software
- 24/7 Emergency Room with Board certified emergency physicians